On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 05:16:41PM -0400, Kaveh R. GHAZI wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Diego Novillo wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 16:56, Kaveh R. GHAZI <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > That aside, our current policy already allows e.g. not testing java if
> > > your change is to a part of the compiler that can't possible affect it.
> >
> > I didn't make it completely clear, but my suggestion was mostly to
> > help us middle/back-end hackers.
> > Diego.
>
> Yeah, that's what worries me, all roads lead through the middle-end.  :-)

But if I understood the proposal correctly, auto-testers (as well as Java
developers) would continue to test Java on a daily basis, and anyone
submitting a patch that caused breakage would be responsible for fixing
the damage or reverting.  If problems are always detected within one day,
the opportunities for rot are limited.

Beyond that I wouldn't venture an opinion on whether it's the right thing.