Ralf Wildenhues <ralf.wildenh...@gmx.de> writes:

>> 2) If we did use libtool to build gcc, then, yes, I would be concerned
>>    about the relinking issue.
>
> Why?  Because of 'make install' run as root?  Any other reasons?

Any install process which is more complex than cp is a matter for
concern.  It should only be undertaken for a really good reason.

>> 3) Shared libraries are less efficient.  You get some efficiency back if
>>    the libraries are in fact shared by multiple different executables
>>    running simultaneously.  But in this case it is relatively unlikely
>>    that gmp, mpfr, and mpc will actually be used by any executable other
>>    than gcc.
>
> It is not so unlikely that multiple instances of cc1, cc1plus, and f951
> are running simultaneously.  Granted, I haven't done any measurements.

Most projects are written in only one language.  Sure, there may be
cases where cc1 and cc1plus are running simultaneously.  But I suspect
those cases are relatively unlikely.  In particular, I suspect that the
gain when that happens, which is really quite small, is less than the
cost of using a shared library.  Needless to say, I also have not done
any measurements.

Ian