On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Ralf Wildenhues <ralf.wildenh...@gmx.de> writes:
>
> >> 2) If we did use libtool to build gcc, then, yes, I would be concerned
> >>    about the relinking issue.
> >
> > Why?  Because of 'make install' run as root?  Any other reasons?
>
> Any install process which is more complex than cp is a matter for
> concern.  It should only be undertaken for a really good reason.

And we should be aiming to make the GCC build, test and install process
simpler: install to a staging directory during build, use the built-in
relocatability in building target libraries and running testsuites rather
than needing to pass long sequences of -B etc. options at those stages,
and just copy the staging directory for final installation.  (It's nasty
that not just the build systems of the various toolchain components but
upstream DejaGnu itself has hardcoded information about how bits of the
tools can locate each other in their build directories.  Nothing should
ever need to know that; the staging install code should just put things so
that they can find each other automatically.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com