On 6 November 2012 09:16, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 11/06/2012 07:06 AM, Jeff Law wrote:
>
>> I tend to agree that major version number bumps ought to be tied to
>> major user-visible changes.

It wasn't for GCC 4.0, but I'm not suggesting it should be done again.
 The new C++ parser and ABI in GCC 3.4 was a far more visible
difference than SSA.

>> I think dropping reload would quality, particularly if there are other
>> major user visible changes going on.  For example, significant
>> improvements in modularity allowing for easier plugin development, major
>> improvements in static & dynamic analysis capabilities, etc.
>

> Or a new ABI for libstdc++, I guess.

Which is not on the cards for the foreseeable future.  The suggested
attributes to allow old and new libstdc++ ABIs to coexist, and
dropping the "experimental" rider from C++11 mode would warrant a
major version bump IMHO.