On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Steven Bosscher wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 04:34:15 +0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>>>
>>>   Say, why don't we reserve GCC 5.0 for the first version that gets rid of
>>> reload?  Then let's see if we can get there while the X in 4.X is still in
>>> single digits!
>>
>> (see http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2010-03/msg01103.html)
>>
>> I suppose LRA counts, even if it doesn't get rid of reload completely just
>> yet.
>>
>> Bump the number! :-)
>
> Also the fact that GCC is now written in C++ seems to me to be
> deserving of a bump to 5.0.
>
> So now we have two reasons!

A third reason would be the much improved diagnostics, which are
user-visible changes: caret diagnostics, marco expansion, etc. There's
still a lot to do on that front but it's a user visible and quite
significant change.

But the TIC in $SUBJECT was for "tongue in cheek". Spawning a repeat
of the GCC 4.0 discussion wasn't my intention.

Ciao!
Steven