On 6-Apr-13, at 12:25 PM, Steven Bosscher wrote:

Are there any reasons against removing !TARGET_BIG_SWITCH support? It
would really help if this code can go away...

Yes, branch distances are limited to what can be encoded in a 17-bit pc relative
offset.  Large code will break with !TARGET_BIG_SWITCH.

I think the answer is to move the jump table from the text to read- only data. This would require another instruction or two to load the label for the table. The HP compiler does this. Although this is unclear, I suspect there are situations where what we do now can cause TLB thrash. This occurs on machines with shared
instruction and data TLBs.  Would this help?

Dave
--
John David Anglin       dave.ang...@bell.net