On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 10:44:11AM +0200, Richard Biener wrote:

> >> Probably just jump to 5.0 (or 5.1) without the subsequent acceleration.
> >
> > That was my preference too.
>
> What singles out 5.0 to warrant an increase in the major number?
>
> If we don't change then please stay at 4.10, 4.11, 4.12, etc.

- libstdc++ ABI changes (it is a significant user visible change,
  if you rebuild everything, no extra effort is needed, but otherwise
  if you want some C++ code built with older compilers work together
  with code built with newer compilers, it might require source code
  changes (the abi_tag attribute additions where needed and warning
  suggest to put those at), at least that is my current understanding
  of the plans
- likely libgfortran ABI changes (different array descriptors)

        Jakub