> It's a bit like writing a new backend, except you have all this existing
> code to worry about as well.  Unless you start from scratch (which may
> not be such a bad idea: you get to modernise it all, and it isn't _really_
> from scratch, you can peek at the old code and copy stuff from it).

I disagree, it's nowhere near the difficulty of writing a new back-end, it's
only a conversion from one representation to another and one could say that
only "tactical" decisions are to be made, as opposed to more "strategical"
decisions for a new back-end.  And IMO starting from scratch is a bad idea.

> But writing a backend is too much for a GSoC, even a small one.

Definitely, and doing a CC0 conversion is probably an upper bound.

--
Eric Botcazou