On Mon, 2 Dec 2019, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> Sure; I'm just saying rewriting old commit messages in such a style that
> they keep standing out from new ones is a bit of a weird choice.

I'd say the rewrites make them stand out *less* (if people avoid having
new commit messages whose summary line is just the ChangeLog header line).

Simply having the Legacy-ID in the commit message will be a visible
difference from new commit messages.  But I'm happy it's desirable to have
it there, because references to SVN revisions in list archives are so
common and having it in the commit messages makes it very quick and easy
to map to a git commit id, without needing any on-the-side lists of commit
mappings or other tools.  (While reviewing conversions to find and fix
issues, it's *extremely* useful to have it there to help find
corresponding commits to compare commit contents, parents, authors and
other data between SVN and git.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com