On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 02:40:45AM +0100, Julien FrnchFrgg Rivaud wrote:
> >Oh, I'm not talking about historical merges.  I'm saying we shouldn't do
> >future merges, where we can help that.  It disagrees with our documented
> >"submitting patches" protocol.
>
> I don't see how that can be correct. Linux is heavily "submitting
> patches" based, with stringent reviews on LKML, yet heavily uses merges.

Linux has most development done in separate trees, one for each maintainer.
That is not how GCC works.

I was talking about https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html , see heading
"submitting patches" :-)

> >Nothing should ever be flattened to a single commit.  But before patches
> >hit trunk, the patch series can be made nicer than it was at the start
> >of its development.
>
> I quite agree with that, and it resonates with my TL;DR chunk of text above.

Yup.  Rebasing is superior to merging in many ways.  Merging is appropriate
if there is parallel development of (mostly) independent things.  Features
aren't that, usually: they can be rebased easily, and they should be posted
for review anyway.

It is very easy to use merges more often than is useful, and it hurts.

Segher