On 29/12/2019 18:30, Maxim Kuvyrkov wrote:
> Below are several more issues I found in reposurgeon-6a conversion comparing
> it against gcc-reparent conversion.
>
> I am sure, these and whatever other problems I may find in the reposurgeon
> conversion can be fixed in time.  However, I don't see why should bother.  My
> conversion has been available since summer 2019, I made it ready in time for
> GCC Cauldron 2019, and it didn't change in any significant way since then.
>
> With the "Missed merges" problem (see below) I don't see how reposurgeon
> conversion can be considered "ready".  Also, I expected a diligent developer
> to compare new conversion (aka reposurgeon's) against existing conversion
> (aka gcc-pretty / gcc-reparent) before declaring the new conversion "better"
> or even "ready".  The data I'm seeing in differences between my and
> reposurgeon conversions shows that gcc-reparent conversion is /better/.
>
> I suggest that GCC community adopts either gcc-pretty or gcc-reparent
> conversion.  I welcome Richard E. to modify his summary scripts to work with
> svn-git scripts, which should be straightforward, and I'm ready to help.

I don't think either of these conversions are any more ready to use than
the reposurgeon one, possibly less so.  In fact, there are still some
major issues to resolve first before they can be considered.

gcc-pretty has completely wrong parent information for the gcc-3 era
release tags, showing the tags as being made directly from trunk with
massive deltas representing the roll-up of all the commits that were
made on the gcc-3 release branch.

gcc-reparent is better, but many (most?) of the release tags are shown
as merge commits with a fake parent back to the gcc-3 branch point,
which is certainly not what happened when the tagging was done at that
time.

Both of these factually misrepresent the history at the time of the
release tag being made.

As for converting my script to work with your tools, I'm afraid I don't
have time to work on that right now.  I'm still bogged down validating
the incorrect bug ids that the script has identified for some commits.
I'm making good progress (we're down to 160 unreviewed commits now), but
it is still going to take what time I have over the next week to
complete that task.

Furthermore, there is no documentation on how your conversion scripts
work, so it is not possible for me to test any work I might do in order
to validate such changes.  Not being able to run the script locally to
test change would be a non-starter.

You are welcome, of course, to clone the script I have and attempt to
modify it yourself, it's reasonably well documented.  The sources can be
found in esr's gcc-conversion repository here:
https://gitlab.com/esr/gcc-conversion.git