On 30/12/2019 15:49, Maxim Kuvyrkov wrote:
>> On Dec 30, 2019, at 6:31 PM, Richard Earnshaw (lists)
>> <richard.earns...@arm.com> wrote:

>>> I will clarify the above statement, and please correct me where you think
>>> I'm wrong.  Gcc-pretty conversion has the exact right parent information
>>> for the gcc-3 era
>>> release tags as recorded in SVN version history.  Gcc-pretty conversion
>>> aims to produce an exact copy of SVN history in git.  IMO, it manages to do
>>> so just fine.
>>>
>>> It is a different thing that SVN history has a screwed up record of gcc-3
>>> era tags.
>>
>> It's not screwed up in svn.  Svn shows the correct history information for
>> the gcc-3 era release tags, but the git-svn conversion in gcc-pretty does
>> not.
>>
>> For example, looking at gcc_3_0_release in expr.c with git blame and svn
>> blame shows
>
> In SVN history tags/gcc_3_0_release has been copied off /trunk:39596 and in
> the same commit bunch of files were replaced from /branches/gcc-3_0-branch/
> (and from different revisions of this branch!).
>
> $ svn log -qv --stop-on-copy file://$(pwd)/tags/gcc_3_0_release | grep
> "/tags/gcc_3_0_release \|/tags/gcc_3_0_release/gcc/expr.c
> \|/tags/gcc_3_0_release/gcc/reload.c "
>    A /tags/gcc_3_0_release (from /trunk:39596)
>    R /tags/gcc_3_0_release/gcc/expr.c (from
> /branches/gcc-3_0-branch/gcc/expr.c:43255)
>    R /tags/gcc_3_0_release/gcc/reload.c (from
> /branches/gcc-3_0-branch/gcc/reload.c:42007)

Right, (and wrong).  You have to understand how the release branches and
tags are represented in CVS to understand why the SVN conversion is done
this way.  When a branch was created in CVS a tag was added to each
commit which would then be used in any future revisions along that
branch.  But until a commit is made on that branch, the release branch
is just a placeholder.

When a CVS release tag is created, the tag labels the relevant commit
that is to be used.  If that commit is unchanged from the trunk revision
(no commit on the branch), then that is what gets labelled, and it
*appears* to still come from trunk - but that does not matter, since it
is the same as the version on trunk.

The svn copy operations are formed from this set of information by
copying the SVN revision of trunk that applied at the point the branch
was made, and then overriding the copy information for each file that
was then modified on the branch with information about that copy.  This
is sufficient for svn to fully understand the history information for
each and every file in the tag.

Unfortunately, git-svn mis-interprets this when building its graph of
what happened and while it copies the right *content* into the release
branch, it does not copy the right *history*.  The SVN R operation
copies the history from named revision, not just the content.  That's
the significant difference between the two.