On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 02:58:55PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Richard Biener:
> > I guess if anything we'd want something git-centric now like github
> > or gitlab pull requests & reviews.  The only complication is approval
> > then which would still mean manual steps.
>
> Gitlab has a “merge if CI passes” button, I think.  There are similar
> third-party solutions for Github.

To actually commit patches is even more trivial than it was with SVN.
This is not the hard step.

"Merge if CI passes"...  Well, it would be nice if we *had* some CI
system :-)  (But commits should *not* depend on that, and conversely,
you should be able to run something on the CI without committing it,
as well.)

> The comments could be archived on a mailing list.  But there is only
> some threading.  Maybe this can be compensated to some extent by
> producing smaller patches, so that there's less reason for
> mega-review-threads.

We often have discussions on gcc-patches@ (instead of on gcc@).  This
is mostly natural, and artificially moving that to another ML because
some tool is lousy is making new problems, not solving any.

Segher