> Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 at 8:51 AM
> From: "Ian Lance Taylor via Gcc" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> To: chris.punc...@silogroup.org
> Cc: "GCC Development" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: removing toxic emailers
>
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 1:26 PM Chris Punches via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Every single proponent of this argument that I have seen so far is
> > employed by one of the same 5 companies and "really isn't doing it on
> > behalf of my company I swear".
> >
> > Why is it almost exclusively that specific crowd saying it here, then?
>
> For better or for worse, since the early '90s the majority of people
> who do serious work on GCC have been hired by companies that want to
> do serious work on GCC.  After all, it's a win-win: the company gets
> work done, the GCC programmer gets well paid.  The effect is that most
> of the major GCC contributors work for a relatively small number of
> companies.  There are of course many exceptions, but that is the
> general rule.
>
> Ian

Such contributions are valued, and companies where talent is allowed to flow
towards the public is commendable, even for those with a history of
exploitation.
Many of us pay their taxes, not because we see crowds of people sent to jail.
But because spontaneous compliance is the way for things to work.  That's what
I hope for.