On 06/10/2021 07:59, Thomas Koenig via Fortran wrote:
On 05.10.21 23:54, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
Hi!

On Tue, Oct 05, 2021 at 10:16:47PM +0200, Thomas Koenig wrote:
On 04.10.21 16:14, Jakub Jelinek via Fortran wrote:
Based on some IRC discussion, yet another option would be bump libgfortran
SONAME (on all arches), make real(kind=16) on powerpc64le-linux mean
always IEEE quad (starting with GCC 12) and if wanted add support for
real(kind=15) meaning double double.

Bumping the SONAME for everybody even on architectures which are
not affected (like x86 or ARM) does not really feel right.  We will
probably have to do it sooner or later, at least to get PDTs right
(and for array descriptor reform), but we will then have to
do another SONAME change when we do that (it is certainly not
ready now).

You do not have to change soname more than once per release.

You could leave it at the old value for archs not affected.  It is good
for everyone's sanity to keep the same numbers for all archs though, so,
just skip some for some archs.

That's the best way, I think - no disruption on all other systems.

I strongly advise against this -- identical SONAMEs for the libraries on all architectures is a key assumption on all Debian-based distributions and designs - I don't see it being possible on Fedora or SuSE etc either ; all presume a library package and updates based on SONAME (ie each source only generates a single SONAME). Updating SONAMEs is a key tool for distributions.

Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry, <alast...@sceal.ie>, <mckins...@debian.org>,
https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry