On 27-09-2010 20:39, Even Rouault wrote:
Le lundi 27 septembre 2010 21:20:02, Joaquim Luis a écrit :
Thanks Even,

I think that's the second time you explain me that (sorry, an easy thing
to forget), but the docs could be a bit clearer about this. For example

*--formats*
     List all raster formats supported by this GDAL build (read-only and
     read-write) and exit. The format support is indicated as follows:
     'ro' is read-only driver; 'rw' is read or write (ie. supports
     CreateCopy); 'rw+' is read, write and update (ie. supports Create).

so I though the + was for updating
What would you suggest to be clearer ?

Well, using your own words, and to not extend the wording too much. Something like

... 'rw+' is read, write and update (ie. supports Create). Note: The valid formats for the output of gdalwarp are formats that support the Create() method, not just the CreateCopy() method.

Yes I reproduce it too. I managed to solve it by increasing the SAMPLE_STEPS
warping option to 60 for example (input source is 5120 x 2560). See
http://gdal.org/structGDALWarpOptions.html for more explanations

gdalwarp world.tif  -t_srs "+proj=ortho +lon_0=-42 +lat_0=40 +ellps=WGS84"
out.tif -overwrite -wo SAMPLE_STEPS=60

Thanks. It worked for me too. I have followed this issue that is recurrent here in different disguises. If it was easy to solve you guys would have done it long ago, but about a warning message when this problem arises? I mean, is there any doable way to detect a posteriori that the shit happened and the SAMPLE_STEPS can help clean it?

Joaquim