On 13.03.2018 09:54, Rutger wrote:
It looks alright to me. The moving average algorithm searches (for each
pixel) for points within the specified radius, and then averages the values
of all those points.

"gdal_grid" also supports inverse distance or linear interpolation if you
want a more smooth result.

It is perhaps surprising that QGIS only exposes a small subset of
gdal_grid's capabilities.

Yes, you're right, I was just a bit flabbergasted that it looked so bad. There's nothing to make it smooth.

The QGIS "bindings" to GDAL are a bit limited, perhaps there hasn't been much interest in expanding them from the initial commits(?). I believe there are also some things that could be thought as bugs - I did a PR(*) a year ago which was not merged (but the issue has been fixed since) - I think a good review of them would be useful. I fixed one issue recently(**) but it is a rather slow process.

Ari

*) https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/4220
**) https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/6564