I use cmake on master, but have not converted the package yet.
You've still time as this will reach a release for 3.6.0 in November. This email is mostly for people having CI or other similar nightly build processes that track GDAL master.

I guess you are implying that we are at the point where everything that
worked with autoconf is doable with cmake, including whatever cross
builds worked?
I'm not aware of platforms where GDAL used to build that can't build with CMake. Everything in our infrastructure that depended on autoconf & nmake has now been switched to cmake (that includes Android cross builds for example). So things are ready from my point of view.

--
http://www.spatialys.com