Bas,
The Python utilities are no longer installed with the .py extension, this broke their use in QGIS when we removed this in the Debian package some time ago. Don't know if that's still the case. Either way, this doesn't seem like an appropriate change for a .1 patch release.

Are you sure about the .py utilities no longer be installed? Because, I see both /usr/bin/gdal2tiles and /usr/bin/gdal2tiles.py installed on Ubuntu 22.04 (before I reverted the change to add the launcher scripts)

Even

--
http://www.spatialys.com