I use Geeqie to select photographs from very large collections, such
  as the thousands I might take on a shoot. As it stands, run through
  the photographs in a directory, deleting the ones that I don't think
  should make it to the next stage of the selection process. I usually
  do this a number of times, using different directories, until I have a
  small handful that I like.

I do something similar, and agree with your notions.

Beyond that, I also want to tag similar photos so I can flip between
them, and they aren't always adjacent.

I see the disk is cheap point, but I like to get rid of junk.  So having
a way to do the marking/sorting without deleting, and then flip through
the list that will be deleted, and then do it (or not) sounds great.