On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:52:54 +0100
Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org> wrote:

> This isn't about conserving space, it's about narrowing down a huge collection
> of images to a small hand-full that I want to bother post-processing and maybe
> preparing for publication or otherwise.

I have similar needs but a different workflow to you. I use a collection to
store any images that immediately interest me (in my experience, if a photo
doesn't grab me immediately, then it won't do for some time, maybe months). I'm
not too selective at this stage and tend to include "marginal" images. I then
work on the collection rather than the image directory. I'm wholely against
deleting images because tastes change, and more than once I've idly browsed
through an old set and stumbled across something that I really like now.

Jon