Hi Pat David,

Sorry about the delay. I have some changings in my RL that keeps me
busy.

Am Do den 10. Mär 2016 um 19:38 schrieb Pat David:
[objectives for pixls.us]

> I just recently finished porting www.gimp.org to a new design and
> infrastructure and I feel like geeqie.org shouldn't be as big an
> endeavor? :)

Well, not fully. ;-)

> I tend to favor static websites personally.

Me too. And I like web pages that are browser agnostic. Meaning,
JavaScript, if used, is only adding some non functional stuff so the
page can be visited with even w3m or any other browser even hardened
with noscript or scripts disabled at all and no cookies, no third party
content, ...

I know I am a bit paranoid. But this way it reaches the most people;
even people who are blind or have other disabilities. (Although they are
not the main users of photo related tools. ;-)

> This way the only requirements on the web server side is just that, a
> web server (apache, ngnix, whatever).

When I control the web server, that is something I can decide. :-D

> If there _is_ interest, I'd be happy to go through things
> further to help get a process/infrastructure in place.  (For instance, at
> www.gimp.org, we use Pelican (Python static site generator) on the server
> and have cronjobs git pull from the repo to rebuild and host on a schedule).

I use wml for all my private pages. (And bins for my albums.) It allows
high flexibility.. Nevertheless, the current geeqie.org web pages are
not that complex that it needs a generator. HTML is not that complex to
learn to write.

> I realize that many of you may not be fans of forums, but if you haven't
> had a chance to check out the work that's been done on discourse (
> http://www.discourse.org/) I think you may be pleasantly surprised.  For
> instance, if we had a category just for Geeqie, all of your interactions
> with the forum/community can still be done just like a mailing list.

Well, I already told, I dream of a system usable and accessible that
easy than NNTP groups. And as I told above, I like to have stuff working
in secure environments. JavaScript is something that I hate, hate much
like PHP.

Regards
   Klaus
- --
Klaus Ethgen                              http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16   Klaus Ethgen <kl...@ethgen.ch>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C