Hi,

Am Do den 10. Mär 2016 um 11:27 schrieb DrSlony:
> I propose:
> 1. That Geeqie create a new identity for itself, that it ceases to
> identify itself as "Image viewer forked from GQView" because that's
> ancient history, people don't remember what GQView is, and Geeqie is
> better than GQView. It can of course be mentioned in some "about"
> section but it does not help attract people who are browsing the web
> looking for a good image viewer.

Fine for me.

But I think, today most users get the image viewer from the distribution
instead of compiling it themself. So, yes, the page should be more fancy
but not focusing on the casual user to compile themself.

> 2. To help make you a new website. The idea is to keep it simple, neat
> and modern. No CMS. Static generation using modern tools. Could you
> provide some info on the server? Is it shared hosting or VPS? Do you
> have shell access? Does the hosting company speak English?

Well, the server is mine. (particular it is a rent server) Currently it
run on Debian Jessie without systemd.

I have everything what need to be on the server except PHP that I refuse
to install.

I prefer static stuff but have no problem to put dynamic stuff there.

> 3. You lack a place where users can interact without having to sell a
> kidney (mailing lists...).

Well, here I don't agree. What is so bad with registering on a mailing
list? Even without registering, you can mail to it although, from the
fact that it is on sourceforge, nobody is seing that mails. But the
concept of a mailing list allows that.

On the other hand, all that forums and asocial networks like Facebook,
twitter and others needs you to register with you feet size and such.
You always need a new account with a new password... That is selling a
kidney for me.

Best solution would be a usenet newsgroup where everyone could use
without registering. But today only few users are on usenet anymore;
sadly.

> Pat David recently rewrote GIMP's official website, and also made the
> pixls.us website which is like a mix between a tutorial place and a
> wiki-forum for developers and users of libre graphics software.

I will have a look. I never heard from "pixls.us".

What I found from a first look is some user tracking stuff in the
discuss subdomain. And from a first search I do not see a way to
contribute.

> 4. I do suggest you reconsider using GitHub, even though gitweb is
> working for you.

Well, github has some major disadvantages:
- - It is closed source
- - It does not play well with a own domain
- - It needs you to switch on javascript, cookies, some cross-domain-stuff
  and more insecure technologies.
- - It needs a separate account (one more (Oh, I have one but don't like
  it))
- - It is a pain in the ass to use. It takes me always ages to find a
  functionality like bugtracker or how to merge pull requests or even
  how to fork
- - It is in .com like commercial domain instead of .org

Some of them are my personal view. But I don't want to pressure others
to use something that I do not like.

> Why? Because gitweb seems like a good place only for developers who
> agree to use the mailing list, but what about normal users who want to
> report a bug?

Well, see above. Normal users come via the distribution normally.

For bugs, I agree that there is no easy platform today. The problem is
two sided one.
1. Users should be able to easily open and manage bugs.
2. Devs should be able to manage and answer bugs.

The second one is as least same important than the first.

My personal view is that only debian bug tracker is good for both sides.
It provides easy way without registering to file a bug and to manage it.
There are commandline as well as web or e-mail frontends.

On the other End is bugzilla which is, in my opinion, a pain in the a...

I searched many years now for a good bugtracker solution that might be
also able to take bug reports from different sides. I think, one that
can resist inside of git would be the best. The most promising for me is
Bugwarrior[0].

> I don't even know where to report a Geeqie bug.
> https://discuss.pixls.us/c/software/geeqie would not be a bug tracker
> (users can occasionally report bugs there, as they do for RawTherapee,
> but that is not the right place).

Hmm.. That is always a problem. But I see that on many projects. (That
pixls.us stuff is one of them)

> And you can't expect normal people to sign up for a mailing list.

That is the point where we disagree. You expect normal people to sign up
on a forum/github/whatever but not on a simple mailing list where they
only need their mail address?

I do not know why you have such a strong attitude against mailinglists.
It is much simpler and easier to get in touch with like most of all that
web 2.0 stuff that needs you to sell your soul every time.

> I definitely wouldn't - the only reason I'm here is because I like
> Geeqie so much I wanted to help make it look alive and well, and my
> email didn't make it to your mailing list the first time I sent it
> before signing up. I honestly can't wait to sign out of the mailing
> list - they're a thing from the 90s.

Was is bad with simple stuff like mailing lists? They just work. True,
usenet news group would be even better but as I said above, there are
not such a big userbase left there. (Although, there are some very
active groups like LaTeX, Motor cycle, sailing, flying, ...)

> If you use GitHub you get to retain your commit history,

Well, that is not the reason of github, it is git, that retain the
commit history.

And coming to myself, I am always having trouble to find history stuff
on github UI.

> you get a fast and well-working bug tracking facility which is tightly
> integrated with git (you can even close an issue/ticket directly
> though a commit, by putting "closes #123" in the commit message),

The last point sounds promising. But see above for the other concerns
about that.

> you get a wiki, and perhaps most importantly you become immediately
> exposed to hundreds of other developers who will then have less
> "resistance" to contribute a patch or even just a good bug report to
> Geeqie. We (RawTherapee) have been through a number of source code
> management services, most recently google-code, and GitHub is by far
> the best.

Github is one of the most promising ones. That is true. It lacks of easy
access to bugs/Wiki(I even didn't know that they have and frankly,
cannot find it still)/commits except the most recent one. It also needs
you to sign up with much more information than just a mail address for
most of the stuff.

I will not be a complete show stopper for Github. But currently I seem
to be the only active developer and I vote strongly against it. And I
know that past devs also did. We agreed to not go to github.

Further more I do not want to migrate to yet another place in the web.
After Gitorious disaster, I think, Geeqie should settle down on one uniq
place for now. That is the reason why I purchased and contributed the
domain.

With every move we lost more people on the way. For geeqie that could be
fatal.

For now, I would, therefor, stay on geeqie.org and the simple gitweb.
Feel free to overvote me in future. :-)

Nevertheless, We could have another contact way on the home page. For
example putting an contact e-mail address there. For example
cont...@geeqie.org or such. Currently there is none of that. I can also
think of having the main contributors on with mail contact on the
homepage itself.

However, if you find a promising way, go ahead. If you can help with
stuff, go ahead. As you seen yesterday, Lars Ellenberg already took the
opportunity and improved the current web page.

I hope, I didn't demotivated you. It is not my intention.

Regards
   Klaus

[0] https://github.com/ralphbean/bugwarrior
- --
Klaus Ethgen                              http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16   Klaus Ethgen <kl...@ethgen.ch>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C