Hi Ciro,

First of all, we appreciate your efforts to further document gem5 and
answer questions on the gem5 users list!

Right now, we're really just using github as a backup mirror of gem5. I'm
not sure why this was started initially, TBH. It doesn't seem necessary now
that we are hosting the code on Google's cloud. I really don't like the
idea of having a fragmented infrastructure. It would be best if everything
gem5 was in the same place.

As far as an issue tracker goes... the main problem is that we don't have
anyone to actually *solve* any issues/bugs that people find. Almost all of
our contributors are working full time in research positions or as grad
students and cannot be expected to fix bugs unrelated to their research
directions. What I believe happened with the Flyspray (and what I would
expect to happen with any issue tracker) is that a huge number of issues
built up over time. Eventually, it became useless as a place for
documenting issues because no one tracked how commits effected the issues
reported.

The reasons I don't want an issue tracker aren't because of problems with
how it would work, how emails would be sent, spam, etc. It's much more the
question "how will it help the community?" and "will the benefits out
weight the costs?" In this case, costs include time to manage, but also
confusion for new community members on how to communicate with the rest of
the community.

What I believe we need is more infrastructure for gem5. We need people who
can manage an issue tracker, fix bugs, implement shared features, and keep
the general infrastructure up to date. To do this (again, IMO) we need to
two things: 1) money to pay someone to do this, and 2) someone willing to
coordinate/manage everything.

This discussion is related to the problems on gem5.org as well. We've been
trying to move as much of the infrastructure as possible to the cloud
because it's hard to find community members with the time/know how to
manage everything internally. For instance, it seems like it would be good
to get OpenGrok back up, but I don't even know who set it up! It was
probably one of Steve's students who long ago moved on to other things.
Even getting rid of the link is hard... I don't know who has access to
change that page (I don't).

gem5 is a weird project. I really haven't seen anything like it. Most of
the contributors are only around for a few years while they are getting
their PhD then they leave. This churn in contributors is clearly makes some
project management activities very hard.

Sorry for the long message. I wanted to give you (and everyone else
reading) a little bit of context and history.

I (we) are very open to new contributors and people helping out with the
project. If you have ideas on how to make things better we're listening!
Although I argued against using an issue tracker, I'm open to the idea if
I'm convinced that it will help the community.

Thanks again for all of your contributions so far! I look forward to
working with you!

Cheers,
Jason

Jason Lowe-Power
Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department
University of California, Davis
3049 Kemper Hall
jlowepo...@ucdavis.edu