From: gem5-dev <gem5-dev-boun...@gem5.org> on behalf of Chang Hyun Park
<heartinpi...@gmail.com>
Sent: 27 November 2018 02:11
To: gem5 Developer List
Subject: Re: [gem5-dev] GCC4.X support

Dear Jason and Giacomo,

We are running our simulation clusters on Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS) which will expire
next April.
Ubuntu 14.04 ships with GCC 4.8.

If its not too much hassle supporting 4.8, what about dropping support for gcc
< 5.0 after the EOL of Ubuntu 14.04?
(So perhaps drop support for gcc < 5.0 beginning May 2019)

Best Regards,
Chang Hyun Park

> On 27 Nov 2018, at 3:53 AM, Jason Lowe-Power <ja...@lowepower.com> wrote:
>
> Dropping 4.8/4.9 works for me. Maybe we should also email gem5-users to see
> if anyone is using old clusters.
>
> Jason
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 9:34 AM Giacomo Travaglini <
> giacomo.travagl...@arm.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> There is an ongoing discussion about dropping support for gcc < 5.0.
>> (At the moment we support gcc/4.8: http://www.gem5.org/Dependencies<
>> http://www.gem5.org/Dependencies)>)
>>
>> It sparked from the following patch
>>
>> https://gem5-review.googlesource.com/c/public/gem5/+/14315
>>
>> which is keeping gem5 gcc4.x compliant. If we decide to drop support, I
>> will abandon the patch.
>> (ideally when http://www.gem5.org/Dependencies gets updated)
>>
>> Does anybody have any concern about that?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Giacomo
>>

>> IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
>> confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
>> recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the
>> contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the
>> information in any medium. Thank you.
medium. Thank you.