On Jan 30, 2009, at 5:02 PM, Steve Reinhardt wrote:

> One thing we should consider is the fact that not everyone will be
> using the
> same version of the source. If a message changes and we move the
> page, the old
> message could still be out there but have no explanation. If old
> wiki pages
> live forever that may start to get crowded.
>
> Good point... so if a message changes, we probably want to just add
> a new link to the same page, not copy or move the existing page.
>
> One mitigating factor will be that I expect most message updates
> would be to make the message to be more descriptive or informative,
> but if we can put the additional detail on the wiki page instead
> then perhaps updating the message itself will be less necessary.
>
> The one case where that might not be true is if we update the
> message to print additional run-specific information about the error
> cause (e.g., values of variables); you could think of designing the
> hash in such a way that minor changes wouldn't disturb it (e.g.,
> strip out all the %s/%d codes before hashing, only hash the first N
> characters or up to the first colon, or something like that), but
> (1) it'd probably be hard to find something that works universally
> and (2) I feel like we're starting to overengineer this idea.
>
> We should also start the practice of listing all the error
> message(s) right at the top of the wiki page as a consistency
> check.  This would also let us handle hash collisions (if any) just
> by having separate sections on the same page.
So.. In this case I think simpler is better, because it will get done.
If we over-engineer it, it won't. I'll have the changes made in an
hour this way.

Pages should certainly be linked and not moved. The wiki provides some
way to do a redirection automatically.  I agree that we should list
the error messages at the top of the page.

Ali