On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Ali Saidi <sa...@umich.edu> wrote:

> Yea, that makes sense. You should probably look at the TLBs (that is
> where a lot of the miscellaneous system registers live). The confusion
> probably comes from reading one of those and the ids not being
> swizzeled, or perhaps there is an interrupt message with a CPU id or
> something as well.

Right, that's what I was thinking. I will look at the TLB's and the
interrupt. Perhaps you can help me with a more specific question: when I
post an interrupt, I basically write a bit in the interrupt array. How does
the hypervisor find out about it? Who reads the interrupt array?

> I guess your attempts at convincing the hypervisor that the next cpu
> was #1 failed?

It is not even that. According to David Wood, it might not be the best idea
to change cpu numbers because there are a lot of things that determine the
cpu numbers. So, I think the reason that changing the hardware description
files did not have any effect is because the description files are fitted to
the hypervisor and not the other way around. I am right now trying to find
where the hardware description binary is used if ever.

> What about calling the next CPU thread 1 (e.g. make a
> system with 2 threads and 1 core)?

Yes, I remember I was supposed to do that. Sorry for the delay, I will
certainly try that. Currently I am trying to run 32 processors because at
least they are ordered and shouldn't require swizzling, so we'll see what
happens.