> can someone elaborate on what the 3 modes mean {Read, Write, Execute}?
They correspond to the access types that come from the CPU.

> I ask because in the translateAtomic function it seems as if the only modes
> that matter are Write and Execute. Why does Read not matter?
It does.  Which translateAtomic function do you think it doesn't matter for?

> I might be missing something simple, but it seems as if there are only 2
> necessary modes (Inst/Data) and for the data portion we read the alpha
> system register to figure out if it's a read/write access.
You don't read a register to find out if its a read or a write, the
instruction itself tells you that.

> Thus, the 3rd argument to that function looks unnecessary since it is always
> the value "Write". If it is unneccessary, then does that not mess up the
> stats in that function who play off the "write" variable instead of maybe
> more appropriately the "mode" variable?
Which file exactly are you liking in.  There are multiple
implementations of this function.