>> Darn...I was hoping -X would work.  So by manually creating multiple
>> patches, you mean qnew a few almost empty patches and then cut-and-paste the
>> one patch into those new patch files, right?
>
> Or alternatively you can just create the new patch files and import
> them with 'hg qimport -e'.
I personally just qpop everything, edit the files and create new ones
and then update the series file.  qimport -e is handy too.

>> It may be just me, but I have a hard time determining in real time when a
>> modification requires a new patch.  After the fact, when the code is cleaned
>> up, I can see the separation.  However, when I'm first trying something, it
>> is not always clear whether a modification is something I want to keep and
>> deserves a separate patch.  Once I was done I used the -X option with
>> qrefresh to separate my internal and public changes to two separate patches,
>> but now realize I should have also split my public changes into multiple
>> patches as well.
>
> I think it's a talent that you can develop with experience...
I think both things are common.  I generally start with much smaller
patches now that I'm used to it, but I often have many patches
qpushed, fix many bugs  create a patch on top called "progress" and
then pull the bits out of progress and put them into the patches where
they belong.  I think qpop everything and qpush the patches
one-by-one, making sure that they apply cleanly and qrefresh them once
they do.

The key is to start with smaller patches, and when you do end up
making a mess out of things, clean it up sooner, rather than later.

  Nate