We could a one-sentence paragraph to the end of 4: “Implementations also
differ as to whether or not they make the order of object members available
to receiving software.”


On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 6:02 AM, Jari Arkko <[email protected]> wrote:

> Elwyn: thank you for your careful review (as always!) of specifications.
> And thank you Tim and Paul considering the input.
>
> But maybe a little bit of explanation about the role of Gen-ART review is
> in order. The IETF produces very high-quality specifications. The way that
> we achieve that is through multiple mechanisms, from having the expert
> people to careful WG processes and broad review. The Gen-ART reviews are
> exactly that, reviews. I use them as a way to decide if there are serious
> enough problems in the document that it warrants me to read it in more
> detail and/or possibly raise an issue in the IESG review. But they are also
> reviews, and have components (e.g. editorial suggestions) that document
> authors and working groups may consider and take into account. And often
> do. And the reviewers, being responsible, usually are willing to clarify
> and discuss their comments; it is not that they necessarily are personally
> after anything, but they are providing input to you. It is a valuable
> service to us all. But the WG is still in charge of the operations, or if,
> there's a serious enough problem, then I will raise a Discuss.
>
> In this case, I do agree with the first editorial suggestion of being
> explicit about the base (even if it is clearer in the ABNF). But it is your
> job to determine if you think the change is worthwhile and correct.
>
> Then there are issues that we might raise that are truly problematic, and
> some that are potentially problematic. I think the ordering issue could be
> seen in the latter category (and I have a similar user perspective as
> Elwyn). But if the WG/chair has a good explanation of the situation (e.g.,
> we've discussed this and the current text is the compromise that was
> reached), that is often fine. I think so too in this case. Then again I
> actually read Elwyn's comment in a slightly different light. Calling for
> clarity on whether there's an agreement on the ordered/unordered nature of
> the set. Obviously, bits are in a particular order on the wire, but the
> argument you WG has had is probably on the semantics of what that means;
> and this is a software issue. Given two same but differently ordered
> inputs, does the software produce "equivalent" object. Obviously there are
> multiple ways of implementing this, and I fully understand why the question
> is non-trivial for the WG.
>
> Personally, I would note the lack of universal agreement on this on the
> document. Maybe worthwhile some discussion on the upcoming IESG telechat…
> but at the same time I at least am not interested in pushing the WG to
> *solve* the agreement or even to entertain lengthy debates. Running code
> trumps other concerns in this case, IMO.
>
> Jari
>
> On Dec 18, 2013, at 3:04 AM, Paul Hoffman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 17, 2013, at 4:52 PM, Elwyn Davies <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> I am coming at it from the perspective of a user.  When I was first
> >> doing things with JSON, I could not find anything that told me either
> >> that array elements could be anything or that object order didn't
> >> mattter.
> >
> > You noted earlier the issue with "array elements could be anything", and
> based on that, we added words to that effect. We cannot say "object order
> didn't matter" because it does for some parsers.
> >
> >> This wasted time for me and affected the code I was writing.
> >
> > Correct. If RFC 4627 had been written more carefully, this would not be
> a problem. It wasn't written carefully in a number of areas that affect
> interoperability, as we note (as politely as possible) throughout the
> document at hand.
> >
> > It sounds like you are chafing against the charter, which prohibits us
> from making significant changes that will break implementations that made
> different guesses about what the sloppy parts of RFC 4627 meant. Jari can
> decide if that is significant enough to send the document back to the WG
> for this (and at least three other areas) where we were forced to come up
> with "if you do X you will most likely be interoperable" wording, and have
> us make breaking changes to the new document. I hope that doesn't happen.
> >
> >> There are quite a lot of potential users.
> >
> > Certainly. And that is the motivator for the wording that we added,
> instead of just moving RFC 4627 to standards track with no warning about
> the sloppiness.
> >
> > --Paul Hoffman
>
>
_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

Reply via email to