I would be very happy with this. And again, I only wanted to briefly discuss 
this, so I don't want to hold the document even if you do not add something. 
But I like the addition, and it also seems to match my understanding of the 
real situation. 

Jari

On Dec 19, 2013, at 6:16 PM, Tim Bray <[email protected]> wrote:

> Or to be more in tune with the language in the rest of the spec.  “JSON 
> parsing library implementations have been observed to differ as to whether or 
> not they make information as to the ordering of object members available; 
> therefore, implementations whose behavior does not depend on object ordering 
> will be interoperable in the sense that they will not be affected by these 
> differences.”
> 
> 
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Tim Bray <[email protected]> wrote:
> We could a one-sentence paragraph to the end of 4: “Implementations also 
> differ as to whether or not they make the order of object members available 
> to receiving software.”
> 
> 
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 6:02 AM, Jari Arkko <[email protected]> wrote:
> Elwyn: thank you for your careful review (as always!) of specifications. And 
> thank you Tim and Paul considering the input.
> 
> But maybe a little bit of explanation about the role of Gen-ART review is in 
> order. The IETF produces very high-quality specifications. The way that we 
> achieve that is through multiple mechanisms, from having the expert people to 
> careful WG processes and broad review. The Gen-ART reviews are exactly that, 
> reviews. I use them as a way to decide if there are serious enough problems 
> in the document that it warrants me to read it in more detail and/or possibly 
> raise an issue in the IESG review. But they are also reviews, and have 
> components (e.g. editorial suggestions) that document authors and working 
> groups may consider and take into account. And often do. And the reviewers, 
> being responsible, usually are willing to clarify and discuss their comments; 
> it is not that they necessarily are personally after anything, but they are 
> providing input to you. It is a valuable service to us all. But the WG is 
> still in charge of the operations, or if, there's a serious enough problem, 
> then I will raise a Discuss.
> 
> In this case, I do agree with the first editorial suggestion of being 
> explicit about the base (even if it is clearer in the ABNF). But it is your 
> job to determine if you think the change is worthwhile and correct.
> 
> Then there are issues that we might raise that are truly problematic, and 
> some that are potentially problematic. I think the ordering issue could be 
> seen in the latter category (and I have a similar user perspective as Elwyn). 
> But if the WG/chair has a good explanation of the situation (e.g., we've 
> discussed this and the current text is the compromise that was reached), that 
> is often fine. I think so too in this case. Then again I actually read 
> Elwyn's comment in a slightly different light. Calling for clarity on whether 
> there's an agreement on the ordered/unordered nature of the set. Obviously, 
> bits are in a particular order on the wire, but the argument you WG has had 
> is probably on the semantics of what that means; and this is a software 
> issue. Given two same but differently ordered inputs, does the software 
> produce "equivalent" object. Obviously there are multiple ways of 
> implementing this, and I fully understand why the question is non-trivial for 
> the WG.
> 
> Personally, I would note the lack of universal agreement on this on the 
> document. Maybe worthwhile some discussion on the upcoming IESG telechat… but 
> at the same time I at least am not interested in pushing the WG to *solve* 
> the agreement or even to entertain lengthy debates. Running code trumps other 
> concerns in this case, IMO.
> 
> Jari
> 
> On Dec 18, 2013, at 3:04 AM, Paul Hoffman <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> > On Dec 17, 2013, at 4:52 PM, Elwyn Davies <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> I am coming at it from the perspective of a user.  When I was first
> >> doing things with JSON, I could not find anything that told me either
> >> that array elements could be anything or that object order didn't
> >> mattter.
> >
> > You noted earlier the issue with "array elements could be anything", and 
> > based on that, we added words to that effect. We cannot say "object order 
> > didn't matter" because it does for some parsers.
> >
> >> This wasted time for me and affected the code I was writing.
> >
> > Correct. If RFC 4627 had been written more carefully, this would not be a 
> > problem. It wasn't written carefully in a number of areas that affect 
> > interoperability, as we note (as politely as possible) throughout the 
> > document at hand.
> >
> > It sounds like you are chafing against the charter, which prohibits us from 
> > making significant changes that will break implementations that made 
> > different guesses about what the sloppy parts of RFC 4627 meant. Jari can 
> > decide if that is significant enough to send the document back to the WG 
> > for this (and at least three other areas) where we were forced to come up 
> > with "if you do X you will most likely be interoperable" wording, and have 
> > us make breaking changes to the new document. I hope that doesn't happen.
> >
> >> There are quite a lot of potential users.
> >
> > Certainly. And that is the motivator for the wording that we added, instead 
> > of just moving RFC 4627 to standards track with no warning about the 
> > sloppiness.
> >
> > --Paul Hoffman
> 
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

Reply via email to