Replies with [PTT] below.

On 25/12/2014 3:21 AM, Huangyihong (Rachel) wrote:
Hi Tom,

Thank you for the nice Gen-ART review. Please see my replies inline starting with 
"[Rachel]".

BR,
Rachel


-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Taylor [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2014 10:42 AM
To: Gen Art; 
draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-post-repair-loss-count....@tools.ietf.org;
[email protected]; [email protected]; Dan Romascanu
Subject: Last Call Review: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-post-repair-loss-count-07

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on Gen-ART,
please see the FAQ at

<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-post-repair-loss-count-07
Reviewer: Tom Taylor
Review Date: 2014-12-24
IETF LC End Date: 2014-12-26
IESG Telechat date: 2015-01-08

Summary: This document is mostly to publish as a Proposed Standard, with
minor issues verging on editorial corrections.

Major issues: None.

Minor issues:

1) Second paragraph of Introduction: last sentence introduces the "repaired
loss count". I found this confusing. Figure 1 shows you really meant "unrepaired
loss count".

[Rachel]: This report block introduces two metrics : "unrepaired loss count" which is specified as the total number of 
packets finally lost after applying loss-repair methods. And "repaired loss count" is specified as the total number of 
packets which are fully repaired after applying loss-repair methods. And in this sentence, I meant "repaired loss 
count" because this metric is used to help calculating pre-repair loss count (pre-repair loss count = unrepaired loss count 
+ repaired loss count). Maybe the name of "unrepaired loss count" is confusing. Would it better changing to 
"post-repair loss count"?

[PTT] Yes, "post-repair loss count" sounds good.

2) First paragraph of Section 3, third sentence: the ending currently reads:
     "Some packets will not be repaired in the current
     RTCP interval."
I think your point is that some of these could be repaired later, so I suggest 
the
text should be extended:
     "Some packets will not be repaired in the current
      RTCP interval, but could be repaired later."


[Rachel]: Right. Will fix it in the new version.

3) I question whether RFCs 4588 and 5109 are normative for this document,
but I know this sort of thing is a difficult decision and I'll accept whatever 
the
final outcome is.

[Rachel]: I agree with you that these two should be informative.

4) Appendix A: The "Units of Measurement" are packets.

[Rachel]: According to RFC6390, Section 5.4.5, there's an example to show how to define a 
metric. Here's how it defines the "Units of Measurement":
"
Units of Measurement:  This metric is expressed as a fixed-point number with 
the binary point at the left edge of the field.  For example, a metric value of 
12 means a loss rate of approximately 5%.
"
I consulted it to specify mine.

[PTT] But what you are measuring according to your description and text in the preceding body of the document is number of packets, not a loss rate as shown in the RFC 6390 example. So what you should say is:

"This metric is expressed as a 16-bit unsigned integer giving the number of packets ...".


Nits/editorial comments:

1) First paragraph of introduction:
        s/contains/contain/ at end of first line.

Fourth sentence:

OLD

     However, this metric is measured on media stream before
     any loss repair mechanism, e.g., retransmission [RFC4588] and Forward
     Error Correction (FEC) [RFC5109], is applied.

NEW

     However, this metric is measured on the media stream before
                                         ^^^
     any loss repair mechanism, e.g., retransmission [RFC4588] or Forward
                                                               ^^
     Error Correction (FEC) [RFC5109], is applied.

[Rachel]: Okay. All the above nits will be fixed.


I would break this paragraph into three parts. The first three sentences
introduce the existing metric. The next two sentences, from "However, ..." to
"... [RFC3550].", introduce the problem. The following two sentences, from
"Consequently ..." through "... higher overhead.", give an attempted solution.
The final sentence, I think, is the motivator for this document and I would
merge it into the next paragraph.

[Rachel]: Good suggestion.


2) First paragrpah of Section 3: again, I suggest it be broken into three parts.
The second part would begin with "Thus it is RECOMMENDED ...", and the
third with "The sequence number range ...".

[Rachel]: Okay. So you're suggesting to break the big paragraph into 3 small 
ones, right?

[PTT] Yes.

3) The sentence preceding Figure 1 should identify "Figure 1" explicitly (via
XML2RFC cross-reference if that is what you are using). It should also note that

[Rachel]: Okay. Will do.

bit positions are given in octal -- the first time I've seen that in a 
document, but
it's OK with me.

[Rachel]: This draft is just an RTCP XR extension to augment the report blocks 
defined in RFC3611. So the format is just in a manner consistent with other 
RTCP XR packets. All the RFCs produced in XRBLOCK wg specifying new report 
blocks have the same pattern. That's why I think it doesn't need to be 
clarified in this draft.


5) Section 5, third line: s/confidentially/confidentiality/

[Rachel]: Okay.


_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

Reply via email to