Hi Carissa et al,

This is the pan-wiki meetup in Portland, you may well already be
familiar with this one:

http://pdx.wiki.org/Welcome_to_Portland_WikiWednesday!

For Mexico City, I suggest you get in touch with the group working to
form the Wikimedia Mexico chapter:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_México

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Lennart Guldbrandsson
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for the ideas.
>
> About wikimeetups: everybody else is waiting for you to announce one. Once
> you do, they will come.
>
> About the culture: I think Steven Walling's presentation is one of the most
> succinct:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEkF5o6KPNI
>
> Good luck with the editing.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Lennart
>
> Lennart Guldbrandsson,
> Fellow of the Wikimedia Foundation / Wikimedia Foudation-stipendiat
> Chair of Wikimedia Sverige / ordförande för Wikimedia Sverige
> http://wikimedia.se
> Tfn: 031 - 12 50 48 Mobil: 070 - 207 80 05 Epost:
> [email protected] Användarsida:
> http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anv%C3%A4ndare:Hannibal Blogg:
> http://mrchapel.wordpress.com/
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:04:15 -0600
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [Gendergap] How to use Wiki videos
>
> Hi,
> Yep I do find both of those videos too basic
> (http://www.howcast.com/videos/317521-How-To-Edit-a-Wikipedia-Article and
> http://www.commoncraft.com/wikipedia-video). I get the nuts and bolts of how
> to click around, I know basic html when I see it, and I remember neutral
> tone and proper citations from college and time in publishing (but gotta
> love a video on the internet that explains that you need an internet
> connection). The Howcast referenced the Wiki:Cite page, which I then find
> confusing because I don't get when to use each citation method.
>
> A Strunk & White version of the rules is what I need! There's so many women
> in publishing, that could be a good group to target for women on Wiki
> involvement, as someone said before. I just need to know how wiki editing is
> similar and different from AP Style, for example.
>
> I would also be interested in a video that explains the community, which is
> both one of the primary barriers and primary motivations I have for
> participating. I didn't know about barnstars and awards, for example. Then I
> eventually found this Editor Assistance page
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Editor_assistance) which looks like
> something handy-- I didn't know there was a place to ask for help. Then,
> what are user talk, user boxes, who gives awards, who are some key figures
> (Jimbo, etc), what is the user/editor/moderator relationship, and what are
> some things that can happen once I start editing and interacting. That's
> what a video would be handy for. It all feels like trying to get into Lost
> in the last season-- all these time tunnels and smoke monsters that I
> couldn't trace to their original form if I tried.
>
> Sadly, I see no meet ups in Portland or Mexico City, yet...
>
>
>
> Thanks,
> Carissa
>
>
> _______________________________________________ Gendergap mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap
> _______________________________________________
> Gendergap mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap
>
>

_______________________________________________
Gendergap mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap

Reply via email to