On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 15:56, Daniel and Elizabeth Case
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Forking this list as a way to make it more effective in its stated purpose
> is bound to be self-defeating for the simple reason (beyond the inability to
> effectively authenticate the gender of participants) that Wikipedia itself
> is not gender-segregated. Any single-gender project to close the gap is,
> IMO, bound to fail.
>
> Informally, I also fear that a women-only list might be even less successful
> in empowering women on this list to find ways to overcome gender inequity on
> it. One woman who doesn't post much here, but with whom I correspond, told
> me the idea, particularly as Laura articulates it, just generally gives her
> a bad vibe, to the point that she'd avoid any women-only list because women
> who set them up basically have, in her experience, the ultimate goal of
> being Queen Bee and lording (ladying?) it over all the other women
> participating in ways they would never dare to do otherwise if they knew men
> would become aware of it.
>
I've just written, and deleted, several responses to this. :)

It's true that women can be other women's worst critics. I have no
answers for it. But I think when discussing this kind of issue we
should try to AGF. I know of only one women-only list set up on WP,
and the woman who did it had the very best of intentions.

Sarah

_______________________________________________
Gendergap mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap

Reply via email to