Context is everything.  If a male editor who was previously contemptuous of
women and the idea of addressing the gender gap writes a column supposedly
celebrating women scientists with the same tone, that tone would be widely
perceived as mockery and not celebration, and that perception would almost
certainly be accurate.  I will publish people being provocative to make a
significant point about an important issue, but I won't provide a platform
for an asshole to be an asshole.  I believe this is a fairly standard
editorial position.