The user issue should be unrelated to your earlier problems.

The user folder can be anywhere you like. You just need to update
bin/profile.ijs or see bin/profilex_template.ijs for an alternative
that doesn't change the distributed profile.ijs script.

This won't affect whether the qt library is slim or full.