-----Original Message----- From: Konstantin Kolinko
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2012 7:47 PM
To: Gump code and data
Subject: Re: xml-commons RIP

2012/4/15 Bill Barker <billwbar...@verizon.net>:
It seems that xml-commons' repository has gone away. I found this out while
testing a local version of Gump that had no checkouts. Given that it is
stale, and in the boot-classpath of just about every ant project, it should go away for modern JVMs. I just want opinions on options. As I see it the
choices are:

1) leave the stale projects, but remove the boot attribute. Upside, least
amount of work. Downside, nobody will be able to set up a fresh Gump.
2) make the projects empty, and think of something for the couple of
projects that have a <property .../> depend (or just let them fail).
3) remove it completely and edit a large number of projects that refer to it
4) Ignore the problem completely until there is a break with the JVM.

My personal preference is in order 2,1,4,3, but want to hear other opinions
first.

I did not find it in ASF Attic so I went on looking into svn log. So I see that
it was moved into "/xerces/xml-commons":

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xerces/xml-commons/trunk/

About the above list of options :
I do not understand what you meant by 2). You clear the metadata file
of that module? Or you meant start over with empty list of modules in
profile/gump.xml?

Regarding 3) the only projects that explicitly refer to xml-commons
are ant, ant-1.8.x, xml-xerces2. That is not much. The rest should be
an indirect dependency. I wonder whether Ant really needs it.

When dealing with svn repositories it is also possible to 5) "freeze"
them in time by setting certain peg and operative revisions. I do not
know whether Gump supports that (as it defeats its purpose), but it
might be doable.

If those repository paths are passed to command-line client as is,
this syntax might be already working:

<svn repository="asf" dir="xml/commons/trunk@1311707"/>

I> am not doing any updates to the metadata now - I think you would
better try on a standalone Gump that you have, because so many
projects depend on it.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Well, you did more research than me :). So that gives the option
6) reset the <svn .../> tag to point to the new location
That would make 6) my favorite now, but still wonder if xml-api should still be on the boot classpath anymore with modern JVMs.

By 2) I meant something like :
<project name="xml-api" /project>
in the Gump metadata. It will resolve for the couple hundred ant projects that use it, but use the JVM's xml parser.

There are a couple of old (and largely dead) projects that reference a project in xml-api via a <property .../> tag. And almost every ant build references it since it (used to be) needed at runtime to boot up ant.