Stefan et al,

I hesitate to reply since I've not contributed in quite some time (and yes,
that is some *significant* British understatement. ;-)

As somebody who found them self sucked away from Gump, I want to express my
appreciation (and admiration) for all the Gump efforts over the years. There
may be no direct uses of Gump but every issue resolved early is a valuable
contribution to the full stack of projects hove there, with countless hours
saved from fighting incompatibilities, and OSS productivity gains.

That said, the fact that the burden of metadata maintenance has been on Gump
committers speaks volumes (either to it's usability or it's acceptance.)
Perhaps the value that Gump provides (i.e. early warning of backwards
compatibility issues) is just too far removed from those working on projects to
be anything more than a nagging annoyance. It is a voice for the user of a
library, but few seemed to appreciate it as such. Maybe if it only built stacks
of pre-release candidates to ensure that releases were compatible (or at least
discontinuities were accounted for) it would get more respect. Not sure.

I definitely believe that Gump committers alone should NOT do the bulk of the
metadata maintenance and issue resolving, however I wonder if it is the type of
services that won't be missed until it is gone, and if this discussion should
be put to a wider community (once fully discussed here.)

regards,

Adam

Adam R. B. Jack
adam.j...@gmail.com