On 5/13/07, Jean T. Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html now has a
> reasonable quantity of content. the organisation could probably be
> improved, some necessary content has probably been missed and more
> proof reading would be good. so, this is a good time to post the draft
> for review.
>
> if you can find time, please take a look and post feedback to this
> thread, open a JIRA or just patch the document.

I'm leaping late into this review

not late at all - this is the right time :-)

A couple suggestions:

(1) "An Open And Diverse Community" section

Let's spell out what we mean by "diverse" and "diversity" -- the actual
graduation requirement is to have at least three legally independent
committers: "The project is not highly dependent on any single
contributor (there are at least 3 legally independent committers and
there is no single company or entity that is vital to the success of the
project)" [1]

yeh - probably want to link the requirement and add some explanation

i've tried to avoid narrowing the discussion to the set criteria and
instead talk about the broader benefits. maybe this new content would
work best as a coda right at the end so that people have to read
through all the rest.

haven't really talked about control by a single corporate entity. i'm
aware that this an issue but i can't think of the right words ATM...

Side note: there was a discussion on the women@ list about "diversity"
last August; the discussion thread starts at [2]. One of my guilts is
having not followed up with [EMAIL PROTECTED] about that discussion.

not sure i have good answers. probably needs it's own thread.

(2) "Security" section

"These issues may either be dealt with on a separate list or by the
private list."

What "separate" list? Why wouldn't a project address security concerns
on the pmc private list?

some projects find it easier to deal with security issues in this way.
this approach allows a different (usually much smaller) group of
people to handle security issues. this limits the chances of
accidental disclosure. the current netiquette for security issues is
also quite difficult for PMCers who are not experienced in this area.

- robert