On 02/06/2011 13:40, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
Hi Ross,

On 2011-06-02 at 12:09 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:

Instead I would like to
understand if this technical objective of breaking OOo code into
reusable libraries that the various forks can collaborate on, is part of
the TDF mission.

I am one of the LibreOffice developers.  I am not sure if such a mission
is stated anywhere, but it is for sure something that is happening in
LibreOffice:

- from the LibreOffice day 1, we have split the one big OOo repository
   into several smaller ones, hoping we would be able to achieve higher
   modularity, and reusability of those parts.  Unfortunately, large
   refactoring that is necessary to clean up the codebase shows that we
   should have waited a bit with this, and we are going to merge some of
   the repositories again.  If we decide to split some parts later, we
   will do that incrementally.

OK, that makes sense. So if the work here produces this kind of refactoring I assume it is, at least theoretically, possible for LibreOffice to use this refactored code rather than do the work themselves.

It might be that LibreOffice chooses not to reuse the ASF code and continues with this refactoring effort independently. That's fine, but there are people out there that choose not to participate in this effort due to the adopted licence.

What this proposal does is gives LibreOffice a number of choices they did not have before. For example:

- they can carry on as now and do the refactoring locally

- or they can work with this project using the meritocratic process to ensure the project is managed in a LibreOffice compatible way

- or they can sit back and wait to see what happens before expending resources.

In all these cases LibreOffice can continue to make its releases, enhance LibreOffice and build its community. Nothing happening here prevents any of that, it just provides more options about how to get from "here" to the "there".

Ross