On 06/02/2011 09:44 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

Let's look at it this way: Pretend that when things starting going
south in OOo, but before TDF was formed, Oracle had done what it
just did: donate the code and the trademark to the ASF.
If that had happened, would those of you behind TDF still
have created it? This is, I think, an important question,
and an honest answer would get to any real underlying issues,
imo.

Very honest answer: not being familiar with ASF founding principles, and perceiving ASF as a very respectable organization, I would prolly start contributing to the project, but as soon as I would have discovered that based on ASF license you can build a proprietary SW I would have abandoned the project.

At OOo, I have never signed neither the JCA nor the SCA, and I have always been extremely critical vs Sun and openly refused to cooperate if Sun could benefit from the outcome of my work.

I know that ASF has a different view on this subject, but I have just expressed my personal opinion.

--
Italo Vignoli - The Document Foundation
email italo.vign...@documentfoundation.org