Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/05/2011 06:30:06
PM:

> I agree with you - in this case I think it would be better if IBM
> collaborated with LibreOffice, rather than seeking to compete. But I
> could be wrong.

And I support 100% your right to have that opinion and to support whatever
open source project or projects you want, to worship your own God and to
drink the beer of your choice.  But if there are a "sufficient" number of
people (as determined subjectively by the IPMC) who have a different
opinion, and who would like to do an open source project at Apache, and
they have a proposal acceptable in other ways, then I think it should be
allowed.

Otherwise this is like the Baptists telling the Methodists that they
cannot have a church of their own in town, because the Baptists want to
recruit a larger choir.

We should always remember:  Anyone who wants to contribute to TDF/LO
currently can.  There is absolutely nothing preventing them.  The
developers on Apache OpenOffice will therefore consist of those who,
voluntarily and according to their own preference, have already chosen not
to work on LibreOffice, along with those who are willing to work on both
projects.

-Rob