Seems we're continuing the discussion in both threads now. More inline ...

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Ian Dickinson <i...@epimorphics.com> wrote:

> On 29/02/12 13:07, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>  [snip]
>>
>>  There is no legal (trademark or copyright) problem that I'm aware of.
>>> There
>>> is no technical problem that I'm aware of.
>>>

>> OK do we have the right to create any kind of package or class under
>> com.cloudera (or any other companies packages)?
>>
> This is a red-herring in my view: no packages or classes are being created
> if a project leaves a compatibility layer in place.

The point I'm trying to make is when you do it at all you have to quantify
why. That get's tedious and error prone and with the rate of growth we're
dealing with that's just unmanageable IMO.

> The class/package names are merely not being deleted. Presuming that the
> original code was part of the inceptional code grant, one can conclude that
> the company in question doesn't mind their namespace being used by ASF
> projects *for that purpose*.

OK I'm completely content if the Co. in question does so in writing freeing
us of any responsibility.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex