On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Kevin Kluge <kevin.kl...@citrix.com> wrote:
> The draft proposal document is available at
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CloudStackProposal.

Looks great! Also looks like you've got plenty of interest, so that's
also great :-)

Some random thoughts:

* It reads like you have some interesting amount of work ahead of you
dealing with the legal side of things, but y'all did a very good of
explaining it in the proposal I think.

* I think the way that you deal with having debian as a dependency is
fine; I am also assuming there's nothing _that_ fundamental about the
use of debian that someone could not replace it with something
different.

* I suspect the most challenging GPL dependency could be mysql if you
use a lot of mysql-specific features. Fortunately, Apache APR has
already come up with a good model for how to limit the licensing
dependency on GPL databases, while still allowing the 99% of the
people that want to use them to do so (see
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/trunk/README ).

* I don't think it is *needed* to have a full plan for how you deal
with every single dependency in the proposal. That sounds like a lot
of work. Having such a plan is of course good, but aside from that,
you already have a good "plan for a plan" and I think that'd be good
enough to start incubation with.

* Something similar is probably true for the mentioned website(s) --
assuming they don't involve loads and loads of traffic or scary
spam-ridden user forums, it is fine to list them as things-to-do and
then tackle the finer details of it during the incubation process, it
sounds like some of this stuff will take a while. OTOH if you're
shipping thousands of VM images out to people every day, infra may
want to say something about that...but that doesn't seem to be the
case :)

cheers,

Leo