Leo, thanks for the feedback, I've put a few replies in line.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leo Simons [mailto:m...@leosimons.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:31 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL][RFC] CloudStack for the Apache Incubator

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Kevin Kluge <kevin.kl...@citrix.com> wrote:
> The draft proposal document is available at
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CloudStackProposal.

Looks great! Also looks like you've got plenty of interest, so that's also
great :-)

Some random thoughts:

* It reads like you have some interesting amount of work ahead of you dealing
with the legal side of things, but y'all did a very good of explaining it in
the proposal I think.

K> Thanks.  We'll have the source and binary dependencies documented shortly.
There are a couple of things around BSD-derivative licenses that aren't clear
to me.  It's good to have mentors.  :)

* I think the way that you deal with having debian as a dependency is fine; I
am also assuming there's nothing _that_ fundamental about the use of debian
that someone could not replace it with something different.

K> I'm glad to hear that.   This was a concern point for me.  A previous
version of CloudStack used Fedora for the system VM OS, so it can certainly be
changed between Linux flavors.  It should be possible to switch to a BSD
variant, but it would be a fair bit more work, and I'm not sure what kind of
i/o throughput would be achieved on the various hypervisors in that case.

* I suspect the most challenging GPL dependency could be mysql if you use a lot
of mysql-specific features. Fortunately, Apache APR has already come up with a
good model for how to limit the licensing dependency on GPL databases, while
still allowing the 99% of the people that want to use them to do so (see
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/trunk/README ).

K> thanks, also very helpful.  CloudStack uses very few, if any, MySQL-specific
features.

* I don't think it is *needed* to have a full plan for how you deal with every
single dependency in the proposal. That sounds like a lot of work. Having such
a plan is of course good, but aside from that, you already have a good "plan
for a plan" and I think that'd be good enough to start incubation with.

* Something similar is probably true for the mentioned website(s) -- assuming
they don't involve loads and loads of traffic or scary spam-ridden user forums,
it is fine to list them as things-to-do and then tackle the finer details of it
during the incubation process, it sounds like some of this stuff will take a
while. OTOH if you're shipping thousands of VM images out to people every day,
infra may want to say something about that...but that doesn't seem to be the
case :)

K> no, not at all.  The only meaningful traffic for CloudStack occurs from
binary download of the software and the download of the built system VM, which
occurs roughly once per installation.

cheers,

Leo