On 25 March 2014 22:27, James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed review, Sebb. We really appreciate you spending
> your time going through this. Here's the list of TODOs for us:
> 1) In the binary bundle:
>     a) Fix the copy/paste error for the URL to SQLLine in the NOTICE file
> in the binary bundle as noted by Gabriel here[1].

It's not clear to me that the SQLLine attribution should even be in
the NOTICE file.
Though of course if it must be included, the URL should be correct.

>    b) Change "developed by" to "developed at" in the NOTICE file
>    c) In answer to your question, yes all those projects listed are bundled
> with our binary distribution.

Are you sure?
Even JUnit and ANTLR?

Even if they are included, that only means that a LICENSE file entry
is needed, not necessarily a NOTICE entry.

> 2) In the source bundle:
>     a) The target dir and rat.txt files should be removed from the src
> bundle

Yes.

>     b) There were the following changes made to the src bundle not
> reflected in git:
>       - the docs/phoenix.csv file was removed (it's part of our website so
> should not be included in our git repo)

OK

>       - the build.txt file was modified slightly in the src bundle.

Not OK.

>       - the CHANGES file is bundled with the src bundle, but not checked
> into git.

The source bundle must only contain files contained in the Git tag.

The point is that the only practical way to ensure that the source
bundle contains only files that have the appropriate license and are
allowed to be included in a release is to compare the files with Git
(or SVN). Otherwise it's impossible to establish provenance and
difficult to determine if the file has a suitable license.

>      - the README.md file is not included in the src bundle, but instead a
> README file is included instead.

The ASF releases source, so source files to create documentation
should be included.

> For the source binary changes, we could commit and push those changes to
> git and update our 3.0.0 tag. Would that be an acceptable solution?

Not sure what you are proposing.

The RC reviewers need to be able to check that the source bundle
agrees with the tag.
Also that the NOTICE and LICENSE files in the bundles agree with the
contents of those bundles and that any bundled code can be released
under the Apache License.

> Are there more changes necessary to the NOTICE file in the binary bundle?
> Would it be acceptable to fix the URL in the next release? If not, would we
> need to go through a dev vote again for the NOTICE file change?

See above.