On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/01/15 16:40, David Nalley wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 5:36 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Git allows you to commit as "whoever you want" - e.g. like in SMTP
>>> email, the headers are decided by the sender. SVN on the other hand
>>> will show the authenticated user in the commit log. So - speaking as a
>>> former sysadmin - it sounds a bit daring to let anyone new to Apache
>>> from a fresh Incubator proposal to also get instant write access to
>>> all Incubator projects, including those that are just about to
>>> graduate.
>>

>>  From a git commit log perspective, this is true, but we also retain
>> push records that show us the user authenticated as, as well as the IP
>> Address they are pushing commits from. In example:
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/logs/asf/incubator-nifi.git
>

> I looked at Jena's log and until Dec 2 this year, the IP address was always
>
> @http.192.168.0.58
>
> and since 2014-12-03 there are likely looking true IP addresses but of the
> NAT gateway used.

Indeed - originally git-wip-us was directly exposed to the internet.
That changed a couple of years back and we had a SSL terminator host
(which had the internal address of 192.168.0.58, because we failed to
enable the forwarded IP address.) That's since been dealt with, but
history is what it is. The generally, more useful item is that someone
authenticated (successfully) as $user and pushed a commit.

--David