Le 12/10/15 13:18, Rich Bowen a écrit :
> Fellow mentors,
>
> There was a conversation at ApacheCon about the Incubator. I'll leave
> it to the other participants to champion the particular parts that
> they are passionate about, but I was particularly concerned with
> mentor disengagement, and suggestions for improving it.
>
> A mentor's role is to help a project learn the ropes at the ASF, and
> that mentor might not necessarily be deeply versed in the particular
> technology that the podling works with. As such, it can frequently be
> the case that the mentor becomes disengaged from the daily
> conversation of the lists, and eventually with the entire process.
>
> As a means of refocusing the mentors' efforts, and keeping them
> engaged, I'd like to encourage each mentor (or group of mentors) to
> consider writing a running report (ie, evolving, updated every
> quarter) based on
> https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
> where they evaluate each point on the maturity model, as a path
> towards graduation. This gives a concrete target, and a lens through
> which to view the podling's progress towards that target.
>
> This could be kept in the incubator wiki, and linked from the official
> project report, or it could be maintained just for your own benefit. I
> think it would be particularly useful to attach to a graduation
> recommendation, as a sign that the recommendation is more than just
> checking the various boxes, but is a glowing endorsement of the
> project's readiness to be TLP.
>
> As a side-note, I'd also encourage mentors who are mentors in name
> only, and not reality, to consider cleaning up the paperwork by
> removing themselves from the roster. It doesn't look great when a
> podling can't get mentor signoff on their reports.

Sounds liek a good idea. I would also encourage mentors to actually add
a comment in each report they are signing.

Actually, when discussing a podling potential exit from incubation, a
[DISUSSION] thread is started on the podling mailing list, and the
mentors can express their opinion, which can be aggregated in a report
when the podling is proposed for exit, or on the opposite, when the
podling is seen as not ready, and send this report to the board (within
all the other podling reports).

Regarding inactive mentors, this is quite simple : we have a monthly
report that has to be signed off by mentors, if one mentor does not sign
it three time in a raw, shouldn't we consider that this mentor has
already stepped down ?

My 2cts...