It's not activity on the dev list, or even report signoffs, that
matter most. Podlings, especially new podlings, have lots and lots of
questions, especially about infrastructure. Without at least two
responsive mentors to field those questions you feel like banging your
head on the wall. And you start wondering why you left the comfort and
convenience of github and whether Apache itself is fascinated by its
own brand.

Before you ask, you won't get podlings to send their questions to
another list, because we're all too proud to ask questions which in
retrospect always turn out to be dumb questions.

It's not possible to measure that kind of mentor activity, so I think
people are inclined to measure the "public" forms of activity as proxy
indicators.

Julian