On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On 10/12/2015 10:10 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>>
>> Regarding inactive mentors, this is quite simple : we have a monthly
>> report that has to be signed off by mentors, if one mentor does not sign
>> it three time in a raw, shouldn't we consider that this mentor has
>> already stepped down ?
>
> No, it's not simple. Actively removing people from volunteer roles is much
> more complicated than you might suppose. I'd rather focus on making myself a
> better mentor than any measures against other mentors which might be seen as
> punitive.

Getting some things out of the way:

I agree that it is not simple.  I agree that it is complicated.  I
disagree that it needs to be viewed as punitive.  I suggest it would
be worthwhile to do.  I respect that this may not be something you
personally would want to volunteer for.  I believe that you can't fix
what you don't measure.  I acknowledge that measuring may lead to
gaming, though in this case I think the rewards are so vanishingly
small that that is unlikely to be a major issue.

Whew!

Now on to the substance of my reply:

https://whimsy.apache.org/incubator/signoff

If we can get some volunteers to split this list up, perhaps we can
reach out to those that haven't been participating in signoffs and see
what changes need to be made.

Any takers?

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  Despite this being pulled from either public or soon to be
public data, I have limited access to IPMC members and ASF members.
At a minimum, this should keep the page out of search engine results.